Talking Back to Dr. Phil
Alternatives to Mainstream Psychology
IN THIS INNOVATIVE BOOK, counselor, coach, educator, and attorney David Bedrick introduces a fresh approach to understanding disturbing feelings and behaviors. Using examples from the television show Dr. Phil, he illustrates mainstream psychology’s tendency to shame people into thinking something is wrong with them. He then debunks many standard protocols and “fixes.” Drawing on provocative insights into such topics as dieting, sex, anger, addictions, domestic violence, and more, Bedrick goes on to present a love-based psychology rooted in the belief that there is profound meaning in our struggles, which can come to light when they are compassionately reframed.
Through the lens of a love-based psychology we learn to:
- Explore disturbing feelings and behaviors rather than repudiate them
- Embrace our authentic selves instead of attempting to “fix” ourselves
- View humanity’s deviations from “the norm” as a reflection of nature’s diversity
- Experience the power and intelligence of our feelings
- Recognize the larger culture’s formative role in our individual suffering
- Transform conflict into a catalyst for building sustainable relationships
- Accept our greatest difficulties as our strongest allies
—Arnold Mindell, Ph.D., author of Quantum Mind and The Shaman’s Body
“A modern-day Walt Whitman, Bedrick sings the beauty of our humanity
and exhorts us to do the same…”
—Julie Diamond, Ph.D., coauthor of A Path Made by Walking
“At last someone is taking on Dr. Phil with good sense and great humor…
A must read.”
—Nikki Giovanni, seven-time NAACP Image Award recipient
Buy a Signed Copy!
U.S. $17.95 + $4 shipping
Once you click “Buy Now” you will be able to change quantities, if you wish. All orders will be shipped via USPS Media Mail (2-10 days).
Canada $21.95 + $16 shipping
Most Everywhere Else $21.95 + $23 shipping
For ALL international orders as well as large (5+) U.S. orders and for complementary instructor copies, please contact Lisa Blair at Belly Song Press: